ChetanaSforum

hi there, i have doubt with this code plz help me outmain(){int i=5;i=i++ * i++;printf("%d",i);}o/p: 27

hi there, i have doubt with this code plz help me outmain(){int i=5;i=i++ * i++;printf("%d",i);}o/p: 27

Hai madhuripatil,The o/p of the code will be 30 (if i am not wrong)initially the value of i is 5. //i=i++ * i++;here the calculation will be done as i=5 * 65 bcoz i++ so it will take the value 5 for calcuation6 bcoz of the earlier i++so u will get 30 as the o/pArthy.

Hi,I think its 27 only cos first its 5*5 which is 25 and then the two increments which becomes 27As far as I feel increments does not effect if its in d same statement.Pl let me if its right or not?

Hello the code is very simple....See first the value of i is replaced that is 5 * 5 = 25 ..and as it is two time increment so it will become 27.For more ex.. let the i = ++i * ++i;Now what will happened that first the pre-increment will take place i.e. I increment twice so it become 7 and the value return is 49..For more ex.. let the i = ++i * i++;if it like this the i replaced by 6 (as only one time pre increment) and result will be increment by 1 as one post increment. i.e 37..The code work like this :-First increment All pre increment then replace, calculate the value and then do the post increment..Hope this can make u understandbye abhishek

Hello Friend,

The output of this program is undefined B'coz we can't modify the variable twice in between two segment points. Here i++ * i++ is modified twice. different compilers gives different output.

There are some more idiot codes like this which are having the same output i.e undefined output.

these are

1. int i=10;

int ar[20];

ar=i++ ;

2. int i=10;

i = ++i;

ANSI C has defined the standard that we can't modify the varible twice untill it is complete expression, a function call, or with logical (&&,|| etc.) operators.

hi aarthy actually it suared first to 25 and as we have two post increment operators 25 will be incremented twice so as a result we will get 27.if we use preincremented operators the i value gets incre mented first twice to 7 and the final value will be printed as 49.otherwise if u use another variable (ie. k=i ++ * i++)then just 25 will be dispalyed for ur iinput

Hello Friend,

The output of this program is undefined B'coz we can't modify the variable twice in between two segment points. Here i++ * i++ is modified twice. different compilers gives different output.

There are some more idiot codes like this which are having the same output i.e undefined output.

these are

1. int i=10;

int ar[20];

ar=i++ ;

2. int i=10;

i = ++i;

ANSI C has defined the standard that we can't modify the varible twice untill it is complete expression, a function call, or with logical (&&,|| etc.) operators.

could u plz explain wats idiotic in example 1 and 2.

and could u plz tell me the book or text which defines ANSI C standards.