ChetanaSforum
Sign in to follow this  
vintron

Facing first HR interview ever...please help

hi all,I am going to face my HR interview in the coming week My problem is my XII marks which are less than 60% ( =53%) and in btech i have upto third year scored 61% percent. If on asking/raising a question on my marks and why they r so less...I will be stuck there!!! I HAVE AN ACTUAL REASON DUE TO WHICH I WAS NOT ABLE TO PERFORM...SOME PERSONAL/FAMILY PROBLEMS...Please tell me IS TELLING THE TRUTH WILL HELP ME OR U ADVICE ME TO MOULD MY ANSWER IN ANY OTHER WAY...please advice...regardsvintron

hi i m nitin i m fresher like u ...i have attended n't many interviews . i have gone thru intervies of (hcl,caritor ,wipro,hexaware). and finally i got thru three offers in hand .. wht i feel u need to have confidence in urself while giving answers , if u have less marks it doesn't means that u can't be a good professional , try to be drive interview in a way whr u feel u can make him fall down on ur lap ... like if u r active participant in extra curricular activities so u can say that while balancing those activites wid ur studies . so it affected a little bit on my studies .. like that i m n't saying that this is correct answer ..but this is one of the answer which was given by my frnd in his hr interview his case was like u ...and he got thru ... one more thing i would like to tell u abt interview is taht like it doesn't matter wht answer u give to ur interviewr but matters is how u justify ur answer like if u say that u r good leader this will n't make any effect in interview .. u will have to prove taht wid ur example ,experinces and ur achivements ...best of luck regards nitin khanna

hi all,I am going to face my HR interview in the coming week My problem is my XII marks which are less than 60% ( =53%) and in btech i have upto third year scored 61% percent. If on asking/raising a question on my marks and why they r so less...I will be stuck there!!! I HAVE AN ACTUAL REASON DUE TO WHICH I WAS NOT ABLE TO PERFORM...SOME PERSONAL/FAMILY PROBLEMS...Please tell me IS TELLING THE TRUTH WILL HELP ME OR U ADVICE ME TO MOULD MY ANSWER IN ANY OTHER WAY...please advice...regardsvintron

Just to elaborate on your problem, There are 3 types of cases regarding less marks.

1) People having less marks throughout the academic career

2) People having less marks initially and then picked up (Lets say 60 % in 10 th, and 75 % in Engineering)

3) People having more marks initially and then drop in performance (Lets say 70 % in 10 th, and 50 % in Engineering)

From interview point of view, type (3) people will face more problems. They will be questioned why the drop in performance.

Type (2) will face less problems out of all because they raised their performance bar as the academic career progressed.

I think you belong to Type (1) because you don't have very high marks even in your engineering. You are right that you will face few questions regarding this.

I think you can use the answer Nitin suggested with slight modifications.

Frame something like below:

Initially I used to concentrate more on my extra curricular activities. I won many prizes & organized many events also. I have got good reputation in my college for my organizing capabilities. In the process, I think I neglected my studies a bit due to all these. But now I have realized academics are also equally important along with extra-curricular activities. Off the late, I have been doing hard work to increase my academic performance & marks. As you can see, that resulted in some increase of marks in my Engineering when compared to my 12 th marks. Mistakes are common in life and as I got matured, I am trying to rectify the mistakes I have done. I am sure I have the capability to perform even better.

Note: 90 % of the interviews, the above answer should work fine (unless the company is very particular on academics ;) ).

Be confident in your answer. It should not look like you are covering up your less marks. Try to echo some frankness in your voice. Practise telling this answer several times before the mirror until you get satisfied.

CONFIDENCE IS THE KEY FOR SUCCESS. Be confident & humble (at least look like so :P ) in whatever you answer. Even if interviewer knows whatever you are telling is wrong, they will see how you are able to convey your point. Most of the times they don't care what you tell, but they care about HOW you tell.

Don't feel depressed that you have less marks. Don't fear about failure. Don't let that show in interviews. Many of our Chetanaites having very less marks got thru MNC companies. Just think "If this company does not select me, then the company is unlucky. If not this company, I will get through some other better company. I did my best & result is not in my hands." This thinking will give you the confidence and reduces your tension.

Keep letting us know your interview experiences. Based on that, we may be able to suggest something better.

Best of Luck !

I have 5 years of industry expr. I can tell with my expr that this is one of the best answer 4 the given HR question.------Viji

thank you very much and I must say that the day when i joined this forum, my confidence level is now more and thankyou to all the members who replied to my queries.I just want to elaborate what i said/post earlier so that there will be better understanding to my problem i am facing..I think I am the THIRD TYPE of person mentioned in the last post by "CHETANAs" as I scored 70% in X AND one of the three persons to scored above 90% in science subject in the sections and then decrese to 53% in XII which shows a sudden fall in studies and reflects a personal problem or a reason behind that...Secondly, during my XII, i have to face problems that was at that time cannot be avoided... I suffered from chicken pox for two months to go my XII boards and also both my parents had to go their 'operations' which somehow leave me depressed..and plus due to some business problems the envoirnment was not cool at that time. I am sorry i have to say all these just to get a clearer vision of my problem..And at last, I agreed that I must not loose confidence for future companies...BUT IF I AM NOT ELIGIBLE AT ALL DUE TO MY MARKS THEN HOW I AM GOING TO SHOW MY CONFIDENCE..... NOW ALL THE COMPANIES HAVE GONE FOR OUR YEAR BATCH STUDENTS AND IN OFF-CAMPUS THE DEMAND IN % IS RATHER MORE...please replybye.vintron

hello ma'm,as said by u in ur last post abt how to deal with less % and u described the three types...if u remember and u formulated an answer for me on "why less marks in XII??" I prepared well accordingly the answer and gues what the very first question was why less marks in XII ??? and I gave the already prepared answer in a confident and relaxed way..but he was not at all convinced and timely he interrupted in between to make pressure and stopped me in between and changed the question without letting me to complete..he liked my confidence and enthu...and liked the way I edxplain my projects but I was not selected... !!!!pleae help me I have put my problem in a more descriptive pls read the problem and pls do reply....regards,vintron

thank you very much and I must say that the day when i joined this forum, my confidence level is now more and thankyou to all the members who replied to my queries.I just want to elaborate what i said/post earlier so that there will be better understanding to my problem i am facing..I think I am the THIRD TYPE of person mentioned in the last post by "CHETANAs" as I scored 70% in X AND one of the three persons to scored above 90% in science subject in the sections and then decrese to 53% in XII which shows a sudden fall in studies and reflects a personal problem or a reason behind that...Secondly, during my XII, i have to face problems that was at that time cannot be avoided... I suffered from chicken pox for two months to go my XII boards and also both my parents had to go their 'operations' which somehow leave me depressed..and plus due to some business problems the envoirnment was not cool at that time. I am sorry i have to say all these just to get a clearer vision of my problem..And at last, I agreed that I must not loose confidence for future companies...BUT IF I AM NOT ELIGIBLE AT ALL DUE TO MY MARKS THEN HOW I AM GOING TO SHOW MY CONFIDENCE..... NOW ALL THE COMPANIES HAVE GONE FOR OUR YEAR BATCH STUDENTS AND IN OFF-CAMPUS THE DEMAND IN % IS RATHER MORE...please replybye.vintron

Hi vintron i feel nothing wrong with answer given by mam. given your situation - that is the best answer you could give. one of my frens gave same answer n got selected. sometimes there wont be anything wrong with you in interview. however we shd also be lucky to get good n understandable interviewer which dint happen in ur case. anyway dont get dejected with this failure. if I find better answer for ur situation i will let u know.-----------viji

i have 90.4% in X , 88.4% in XII, and 69%(less mark) in engineering .so how can i answer for that question.plz help me.mail me:srisenthi_19@yahoo.co.in

Say that you liked only subjects which had better practical applications, just find out which all subjects you have scored good marks and say that you had stressed only those subject which would be useful at JobLike computer programming ,etc.

i have 90.4% in X , 88.4% in XII, and 69%(less mark) in engineering .so how can i answer for that question.plz help me.mail me:srisenthi_19@yahoo.co.in

Even I am facing the same problem. 93% in 10th, 89 in 12th and 70 in BE. Even in my BE, my graph is was high in first sem, gone to 2nd class in 2nd year n again high in the last two years. The reason being carelessness. I enjoyed coll life n neglected studies. Do u think I should be frank enough and tell the truth?

Plz reply..

Even I am facing the same problem. 93% in 10th, 89 in 12th and 70 in BE. Even in my BE, my graph is was high in first sem, gone to 2nd class in 2nd year n again high in the last two years. The reason being carelessness. I enjoyed coll life n neglected studies. Do u think I should be frank enough and tell the truth?

Plz reply..

Hey ! Don't tell that you enjoyed.

Just tell that Engineering is not like 10 th or Intermediate. There are lot of serious & new subjects and one cannot really score 90 % in Engineering. Also add that you have given more concentration on extra-curricular activities, even though you have not neglected studies completely. Also agree that it had been very difficult to get marks in some difficult subjects you could not get complete grip on.

If you tell it in 'convincing' manner, most HRs will be realistic to accept this answer. Though we cannot convince some rude HR people ;)

Here are the best face to face interview tips:

1. DO NOT FAKE IN YOUR RESUME:

Lying can backfire on you! The individual sitting before you has adequate experience of interviews and can without much of a stretch know when you are faking it. So, keep it genuine and just write in your CV, what you have really accomplished. Else, more often than not, you would be in a soup.

2. TAKE IT EASY:

More than whatever else, the anxiety hampers most interviews. Just before going into the interview room, take a couple of deep breaths and unwind your nerves. It for sure, makes a difference!

3. BE CONFIDENT: