ChetanaSforum
Sign in to follow this  
yogindernath

Practical Tool to check - How Good Tester I Am?

You are the Best Judge of your own Capabilities & Potentials. No one else knows about you more than yourself.

Try to Introspect & Discover yourself the Qualities / Potentials / Experience & Confidence you possess, & honestly try to assess the slot where you deserve to be placed as on date; from where upon you can improve to be an Excellent Manager of tomorrow.

Here is a practical tool to introspect & know as to where you stand as a tester.

This methodology can help you improve your testing abilities & excel in your career in testing.

What you need to do is?

Step -1: Carefully go through the following twenty-five questions or situations.

Step -2: With a cool mind, try to figure out, if any situation or question fits on you as on date. If Yes !!! – Allocate "1" – Mark, otherwise allocate "0" – Mark against that question.

Step -3: Continue allocation of marks till the end of questionnaire.

Most Important – Please don’t jump to the end of the questionnaire to see the score calculation methodology; which could otherwise impose a bias in your assessment.

Now carry on with the self-assessment exercise:

Q. 1: Am I able to verify & say that it is possible to accomplish a particular task that appears difficult to many?

Q. 2: Am I able to detect problems either in the process or the product faster than many?

Q. 3: Am I able to identify & prevent potential problems before they come to the surface?

Q. 4: Am I able to look back as to how the problems & bugs ended up in the product?

Q. 5: Do I have understanding of general technologies in using & implementing my product?

Q. 6: Do I have an attitude to break the things by which I may be able to learn more?

Q. 7: Do I have an inquisitive mindset of asking questions especially the right ones, with an objective of learning?

Q. 8: Do I optimize scarce resources & focus my attention on where I can find bugs?

Q. 9: Do I have a habit of creating my own set good questions about the software and then looking for their answers?

Q. 10: Do I tactfully react over the possible cause of the bugs or likely source of the bugs?

Q. 11: Do I tend to go deeper into the code of the application prior to testing & restrain any impulse to use ad-hoc techniques and simplistic tools?

Q. 12: Do I tend to understand as to how the users will exploit the program's features & the type of errors they are likely to make?

Q. 13: Do I have an average intelligence but a high caliber as a tester?

Q. 14: Do I tend to capture minute things usually ignored or missed by many?

Q. 15: Do I tend to look for major or minor symptoms compared to bugs?

Q. 16: Am I socially smart & diplomatic having good inter personnel skills to deal with programmers, especially the senior ones?

Q. 17: Do I avoid reaching compromises and consensus in an effort to be socially adept smart?

Q. 18: Do I prefer to use files, databases & checklists etc. compared to depending upon my razor sharp memory?

Q. 19: Do I believe that I too can make mistakes, hence tend to double-check my findings prior to reporting?

Q. 20: Am I organized & report my bugs accompanied by facts & evidence in support?

Q. 21: Do I believe that manual testing is error prone & try to devise my own ways to reduce such methods may be by some sort of automation?

Q. 22: Do I maintain a good standard of behavior? Meaning thereby total restraint on finger pointing, laughing at something found odd, undermining other persons work.

Q. 23: Do I tend to perform test inspections in a way programmers do their code inspection?

Q. 24: Do I have an appetite for applicable technology?

Q. 25: Do I tend to dig out problems in the code by cooperating with developers aiming to identify further issues?

Comments supporting some of the questions listed above:

Q. 4: Such information can be used to improve the process in future

Q. 7: Asking questions is the best way to learn, but at the same time question must not be stupid.

Q. 9: Asking questions about software, thoroughly interrogating it greatly helps in escalating the knowledge of the code the tester is working on.

Q. 10: Being tactful refers to an ability to peep into the source of the bugs and quickly understanding the possible cause of them – like the management, designers or the developers.

Q. 15: Usually symptoms are not bugs. Symptoms don’t have categories like major or minor, whereas the bugs have.

Q. 16: Diplomacy could refer to good inter personnel skills, being thick skinned & having a good sense of humor.

Q. 21: Initiative to improve the quality of own work may be by automation, by devising own ways to eliminate error-prone methods is a positive trait.

Q. 22: Attributes of poor behavior are finger pointing, laughing at something found odd, undermining other persons work.

Read the full article & your scorecard at:

http://www.softwaretestinggenius.com/artic...ils.php?qry=769

HI,Nice post, Tickle.com has the best tests for anything. They have quite a few test /quizes to give you an idea of what you might do best at or might be interested in that you didn't think of. I don't go anywhere else for personality/career/anything in the world, tests. Hope find what you are looking for!