ChetanaSforum
Sign in to follow this  
dipali_marathe

build, version and release

What is build, version and release?

Hi,Build means the project we are working on.version means different names given to softwares after some enchancements.Example:oracle 9i,oracle 11iThese are the versions(9i,11i) of oracle.Some more examples:Winrunner 7.0,WinRunner 8.0 Qtp8.2,Qtp9.0.........To recognise the software based on modifications some names are given to old and new software nothimg but versions.Release is nothing but releasing software to customer after estimating completeness and correctness of the software. bye.ammu.

HiVersion, Build & Release put together comprises of Configuration Management (CM). Infact to describe in jargons CM constitutes of version management(VM), build management (BM) and release management(RM).VM - During the development of the software each file (For example java, jsp, documents) gets modified several times. Everytime the file is changing you have to backup the original file since you never know whether new one will work or not.But in a real time project where you have 1000's of file it is not possible. So there are tools in the market for VM. So if you add all these files in to that tool then it takes care maintaining old & new modification you to do that file. Each of that change to the file is called version. For example you modify the file today put it in the tool and again 2maro your doing the same. Now this file has got 2 versions.BM - All these files has to be compiled and sent to client or testing team. So BM is the process of compiling the sources and packing the deliverables. For example Client A needs deliverbales in EAR format where as Client B needs it in TAR format. So all these are handled in BMRM - Once the product compilation is over the deliverbales/executables will be tested on several environments and then finally moved to real time environmnet. So how do we track it. Thats wat Rm tools does. For example Win 98, Win 2000, Win Me all are windows releases. These releases and its bugs and patches will be tracked by RM.Hope this was useful to your query.RegardsMuthu

Hi muthu, Thanks for ur such wonderful explanation. My dout abt thebuild version release get cleared. ThanksRegards Dipali

HiVersion, Build & Release put together comprises of Configuration Management (CM). Infact to describe in jargons CM constitutes of version management(VM), build management (BM) and release management(RM).VM - During the development of the software each file (For example java, jsp, documents) gets modified several times. Everytime the file is changing you have to backup the original file since you never know whether new one will work or not.But in a real time project where you have 1000's of file it is not possible. So there are tools in the market for VM. So if you add all these files in to that tool then it takes care maintaining old & new modification you to do that file. Each of that change to the file is called version. For example you modify the file today put it in the tool and again 2maro your doing the same. Now this file has got 2 versions.BM - All these files has to be compiled and sent to client or testing team. So BM is the process of compiling the sources and packing the deliverables. For example Client A needs deliverbales in EAR format where as Client B needs it in TAR format. So all these are handled in BMRM - Once the product compilation is over the deliverbales/executables will be tested on several environments and then finally moved to real time environmnet. So how do we track it. Thats wat Rm tools does. For example Win 98, Win 2000, Win Me all are windows releases. These releases and its bugs and patches will be tracked by RM.Hope this was useful to your query.RegardsMuthu