ChetanaSforum
mapgdgin

difficult question indeed

hi everybody out there,plz explain me how this code worksmain(){int i=300;char *ptr=&i;*++ptr=2; //what does this stmt mean?printf("%c",*ptr);}o/p:556

hi everybody out there,plz explain me how this code worksmain(){int i=300;char *ptr=&i;*++ptr=2; //what does this stmt mean?printf("%c",*ptr);}o/p:556

This code will not run on VC++, as it will not allow such pointer conversions because they are illegal.However, on turbo c++, it will show you a warning message regarding this.Whatsoever, you are doing the wrong things.....Always run your program on VC++, and its a suggestion.If you want to know that whats *++ptr is doing, then it will first increment the value of ptr (note that it will not increment the value pointed out by ptr pointer) and then store 2 at that position. *ptr will show you the character with respect to the interger value (treating it as ascii value).My o/p doesnot matches your o/p. You showed it 556, where as i am getting a special character.

This code will not run on VC++, as it will not allow such pointer conversions because they are illegal.However, on turbo c++, it will show you a warning message regarding this.Whatsoever, you are doing the wrong things.....Always run your program on VC++, and its a suggestion.If you want to know that whats *++ptr is doing, then it will first increment the value of ptr (note that it will not increment the value pointed out by ptr pointer) and then store 2 at that position. *ptr will show you the character with respect to the interger value (treating it as ascii value).My o/p doesnot matches your o/p. You showed it 556, where as i am getting a special character.

helloactually there is an error over there it requires type casting since we are assignig the address of integer to the pointer pointing the character

It's a perfectly valid "C" code.

Output of

printf("%c",*ptr);

will be some character(varying from machine to machine) whose ascii value is 2.

Output of

printf("%d",*ptr);

will be 2 always.

Output of

printf("%d",*((int*)(ptr-1)));

Will be 556.

It's a perfectly valid "C" code.

Output of

printf("%c",*ptr);

will be some character(varying from machine to machine) whose ascii value is 2.

Output of

printf("%d",*ptr);

will be 2 always.

Output of

printf("%d",*((int*)(ptr-1)));

Will be 556.

Hello Sunny,

Problem is not with the printf statement. Real problem lies in the statement "char *ptr=&i;". This is an illegal pointer conversion. Assigning an integer variable address to a pointer to char. I hope you will get tha point.

Prabhat

Real problem lies in the statement "char *ptr=&i;". This is an illegal pointer conversion. Assigning an integer variable address to a pointer to char.

illegal is a very strong word. I would rather say it's conversion between incompatible types and I never denied that.

I said it's a valid "C" code and I still say that.

Problem is not with the printf statement.

Again, I never said there is a problem with printf statement. I simply explained the OP the working of the program.

Hope you get it.