I understand your problem. Let me tell you that a person with good talent and smart in job search can get a good job soon. Smart in the sense the ability to act in a way that gives advantage to you by compromising your sincerity and honesty.
Once you get a first break then no one can stop you!!
I appreciate that you are doing good work by keeping your learning curve high like you have worked as a lecturer, then you are planning to take up java certification and also planning to do a course at a branded institute. If I am not wrong you have read some suggestion given by me at this forum. I like people like you and certainly would like to guide you personally.
Keep it up and just keep learning the max. One more thing I suggest is better do a the course in Hyderabad in some good institute because it is cheaper and also the best.
I am not sure about NIIT teaching methodology but I feel certainly the certificate has some value. Regarding placement assistance...why don't you go to that institute personally and catch some students while they are coming out of the institute and ask them the feedback.
In case the institute itself promises you the placement assistance then be sure to mention about all your defects and then ask then whether they still can assure you the job. Ask them what kind of assistance they give you. Many institutes offer placement assistance in the same institute itself. Its a marketing buzz word to get business.
All the best! The more you do research the more you get benefit. Dont try to get all the guidance sitting in front of computer. Ok?
Good Luck! Keep posting your experiences so that I can guide you.
I'm the guy who originally posted this article.
Today(26-12-2008) it has been 1.5 years since I started my journey to excellence in life & career.
Now by God's grace, I've been placed in a very good company & doing good.
I am preparing for SCJP1.4 exams which i will write by next month!
I've completed SCJP & other certifications in Java.
Also holds a Oracle Certification OCA.
Actually these certifications boosted up my chances of getting opportunities in very good companies , clearing those interviews & also gave me a commanding position in salary negotiations.
For clearing those Java certifications two resources helped me a lot
1) Head First Java & SCJP book ---> CathySierra & BertBates
1) whether any students who have 2 or more years break have got placement on joining these types of courses @ NIIT's or other training institutions!
Certainly people with career breaks have gotten opportunities but(Take me as an example) with good marketable skills & Qualifications.
How not to worry about work experience for freshers
Once you get your first job, put your fullest effort & get experience.
Once you have got sufficient experience, qualifications(like project experience, sun certifications, exposure to in-demand technologies like Struts,Hibernate) & confidence move on........
But I doubt about the sincerity of these training institues in fetching you placements, unless & until you are extremely good
Remember I studied in a premiere training Institute in Bangalore in which the course was dragged to 8
months from the original deadline of 5 months & I scored heavily in all those tests conducted by them.
Even then my placement was delayed due to
1) My 2 years break( But that's why I joined them right)
2) My profile not matching the client requirements(Remember at this time I've specialized in Java, done 2 Sun Certifications & was one of the topper in my class)
Then I decided that I need to swim by myself & started attending Interviews highlighting my qualifications, skills & talent.
I updated my profile by myself & formatted it better & was daily sending resumes to atleast 10 firms through premier job portals like monster & naukri.
Then I got the job for a decent salary & after a year I skipped to another firm for a 150% hike.
2) On what basis they arrange for interviews?
If you've got less than 1 year gap then you have more chances of getting through this premiere training institutes.
Remember if this is the situation with premiere training institutes itself, what about second-class training institutes.
Of course they can get placements but the percentage is very less.
If you have any doubt, ask them what is the percentage of people they have placed with 2 years gap.
Their placements is certainly not on the basis of your skillset or talents but on the basis of client requirements only.
They don't even have control over pushing our case to clients.
I feel you can directly attend the company interviews unless & until you don't have more than 1 year gap.
But onething I can say
1) I got very good education in Java
2) some very good contacts & friends.
3) Ur opinion?
My opinion for people with more than one year gap is:
1 i) Don't join a training institute just it charges you less, in which you will lost money, time & education.
1 ii)Join a premiere training institute like NIIT not for placements, but for education.
2) Ask them for a demo class & ensure that the faculty is highly competent, you are able to follow what he is saying & listen to your heart. If they don't give you a demo class, then enquire about the best faculty from the students there & have a discussion with him expressing your wish to study under him & do the same. Also try to find out how long he will be in that institute.
3) If the faculty is very good, the chances are he can at anytime move out of the training institute, so try to pay the amount in maximum installments minimizing your loss.
4) The certificates they issue has no recognition & try to do SunCertification which has some value
in the industry as you can stand out from the competition & also the company benefits from you as it can market your qualificaton to their fortune clients & bill more. Try to do some projects for the institute & get documents from the institute regarding that.
5) Even when you're studying(in training institute) start searching for a job, even if it is for no salary go ahead & get good experience.
In the industry experience & documents are what matters most.
Even when you're working for no salary , get offer letters or some documents substantiating your claim that you've worked there.
If you have any enquiries about pursuing sun certification or about your career , you can call me @ 9916845628(Bangalore no) or to my mail id firstname.lastname@example.org
4) What is the available options for me now?
See my above replies. Don't worry & start moving.
Do you know anyone( having 2 or more years break ) who got placed in different companies by pursuing a placement assistance course @ NIIT
I appreciate that you are doing good work by keeping your learning curve high like you have worked as a lecturer
Not as a lecturer, but as a Java Trainer.
God bless you all!
My Sincere Regards!