chetanaforum

Group Discussions : Should they be part of a company's selection process ?

TOPIC TITLE : Group Discussions : Should they be part of a company's selection process ?

CONTEXT OF TOPIC : Most of the companies have Group Discussion as an elimination round in their selection process. Do you think that's right or do you think 10 minutes of GD discussion cannot make a proper measure of a candidate's skills ?

I think GDs are used to assess certain group skills that cannot be evaluated in an interview. These include reasoning ability, leadership ability, Inspiring ability, flexibility, Creativity/Out of the box thinking, social skills, listening and articulation skills, situational handling ability, interpersonal ability to function as a team player, body language and attitude. These are the skills which i think very much required to become a successful professional which in turn works as an asset for the organization. So i don't see any reason in not keeping it as an elimination round.

another important reason y companies keep it as an elimination round is because of the crowd factor. for the walk-ins of very large mnc, a company has to deal with 1000s of job seekers. in a gd they can analyze upto 15 job seeker in 10 minutes.

Group discussions has been recently added for the recruitment of candidates in companies. They help in evaluating a person's inner thought while working with the company. Through GD's(Group discussions) we can evaluate a persons ability to express his views correctly, his team spirit, social behaviour and a lot more.
So, I think group discussions are mandatory and that is what corporate people follow.