Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Tell me about yourself - How to answer this question ?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Arthy

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

- PLEASE SHARE

"Tell Me About YourSelf"

This is the most commoly asked question in interviews... To start the interview and the interview will proceed by the way we answer this question

So friends can you help me, What is the right way to answer this question

Thanks and Regards
Arthy.

#2 geeth

geeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:23 PM

"Tell Me About YourSelf"

This is the most commoly asked question in interviews... To start the interview and the interview will proceed by the way we answer this question
Thanks and Regards
Arthy.

This question is always like "Ball in one's court".. one has to be very true to oneself to answer.. nver bluff..
based on my experience..
start with ur personal details like ur name and where u r from... then instead of telling about ur family members jump to academics.. start from ur highest qualification.Here u tell them about any extracircular activ.(tech or non tech) like member of ISTE, tech. paper presentation. Be very descriptive while telling about ur extra cir. act.
during ur graduation.
During my INFOSYS interview.. when i said i was member of ISTE and took part in organizing national level tec. paper contest.. they took up the point at that time and started questions about the event... i felt very comfortable while answering these questions.
In my first interview(disaster :( ).. i said i watch AXN... ofcourse i watch it.. but they started asking anchor names..etc some bull shit.. so bcful tell some thing,so that u would be comfortable in answering ney questions..

#3 ZIAUDDIN

ZIAUDDIN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:50 PM

Since this is often the opening question in an interview, be extracareful that you don't run off at the mouth. Keep your answer to a minute or two at most. Cover four topics: early years, education, work history, and recent career experience. Emphasize this last subject. Remember that this is likely to be a warm-up question. Don't waste your best points on it. They don’t want to know about your family, your last vacation, your hobbies, your religious beliefs, that you like the Cubs, or that you are a proud member of AA

#4 ChetanaS

ChetanaS

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 49,137 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:24 PM

Tell Me About YourSelf" This is the most commoly asked question in interviews... To start the interview and the interview will proceed by the way we answer this question. So friends can you help me, What is the right way to answer this question

1) Sometimes interviewer may not give you more than 2 minutes to answer this question. So you should learn to mention the most important details first. i.e, Your details, Education, recent Experience, your Skillsset etc. (Don't start telling about your family background or your hobbies. If the interviewer is still looking for more details at the end of 2 minutes, then you can add those details.) Practise telling a short answer and a long answer. 2) Short is sweet. Generally they don't expect a long story from you. 3) Be sure about every point you are telling. Some people may interrupt you and cross-question you. Be prepared for that. Answer with a smile. 4) Don't look like you memorized the answer. Don't rush to complete it. Tell slowly and steadily (with a firm voice) as if you are answering from your heart. Hope this helps !

#5 CM-Chap

CM-Chap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

Hi I'm sure all the above would have helped you. In addition to that I wish add few more things based on my experience while working for a HR consultancy firm.Most of the time the interviewer ask this question to pick up leads about you. You can be 100% sure that whatever you said in Introduction (Abt your skills, Academics etc) will be the topic of discussion later.So you better prepare yourself for a detailed discussion on every word you say at the time of introduction.If you think you are good in a particular area (Example Network security) touch upon that area in the introduction. (While talking about your skillset). By this you are inviting the person to ask you questions in your favorite area. Instead if you give a long and whole history of life, work & skillset. You are in a position of disadvantage by opening up everything.It's a clever act. But belive me it pays off well. All the best.RegardsMuthu

#6 Jagadish Chetty

Jagadish Chetty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

Hi I'm sure all the above would have helped you. In addition to that I wish add few more things based on my experience.Keep your answer short and focused on your professional life. This is not the time to bring up relationships, childhood experiences, family etc. A brief history of education, career and special interests is what is called for here. End it with why you are interested in this particular job.Don'ts Avoid Indian words Accha, Teek Hai, Lekin, Han Han...etc Avoid use of the same words to confirm that you have understood what has been asked, like Yes, yes, yes, yes, or Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... Avoid arguments with the interviewer After you have answered a question if the interviewer pauses and does not ask the next question then wait for the next question. Do not keep talking.  Remember the questions that you should not be asking the interviewer (i.e. the questions under the bullet Finally)All the best.

#7 Swetha_D

Swetha_D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

I read the below explanation somewhere. It's a good one.
Swetha
---------------------------------------------------------------------
TRAPS: Beware, about 80% of all interviews begin with this “innocent” question. Many candidates, unprepared for the question, skewer themselves by rambling, recapping their life story, delving into ancient work history or personal matters.

BEST ANSWER: Start with the present and tell why you are well qualified for the position. Remember that the key to all successful interviewing is to match your qualifications to what the interviewer is looking for. In other words you must sell what the buyer is buying. This is the single most important strategy in job hunting.
So, before you answer this or any question it's imperative that you try to uncover your interviewer's greatest need, want, problem or goal.

To do so, make you take these two steps:
1. Do all the homework you can before the interview to uncover this person's wants and needs (not the generalized needs of the industry or company)
2. As early as you can in the interview, ask for a more complete description of what the position entails. You might say: “I have a number of accomplishments I'd like to tell you about, but I want to make the best use of our time together and talk directly to your needs. To help me do, that, could you tell me more about the most important priorities of this position? All I know is what I (heard from the recruiter, read in the classified ad, etc.)”

Then, ALWAYS follow-up with a second and possibly, third question, to draw out his needs even more. Surprisingly, it's usually this second or third question that unearths what the interviewer is most looking for.
You might ask simply, "And in addition to that?..." or, "Is there anything else you see as essential to success in this position?: http://www.ChetanaS.com

This process will not feel easy or natural at first, because it is easier simply to answer questions, but only if you uncover the employer's wants and needs will your answers make the most sense. Practice asking these key questions before giving your answers, the process will feel more natural and you will be light years ahead of the other job candidates you're competing with.

After uncovering what the employer is looking for, describe why the needs of this job bear striking parallels to tasks you've succeeded at before. Be sure to illustrate with specific examples of your responsibilities and especially your achievements, all of which are geared to present yourself as a perfect match for the needs he has just described.

#8 KSN

KSN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

Undoubtedly the most frequently asked interview question, and one that interviewees have the most difficulty answering. Your answer should be in alignment with your career objective, which means you shouldn't respond with comments about your hobbies, spouse or extra-curricular activities.

1. Start with a brief introduction. Talk about skills that are key to the position applied for.
Sample: 'During my 2 years of experience as a sales executive, I have mastered the ability to prospect, generate business leads, and motivate my team members to reach targets.'

2. Provide a summary of your recent work history. Keep your response limited to your current experience. Don't go back more than 2 years.
Sample : 'Most recently, at The XYZ Corporation, I was challenged with turning around a stagnant territory that ranked last in sales. I developed an aggressive sales campaign that focused on winning new accounts and nurturing the existing client base. Within six months, my sales team and I were able to increase sales by 40 per cent.'

3. Tie your response to the needs of the organization. Demonstrate how your experience and skills are transferable to the open position.
Sample : 'I have learnt about the challenges your IT department is facing and my background in developing software for leading companies will add value.'

4. Ask an engaging question. By asking a question, you gain control of the interview. Doing so will alleviate the stress you may feel to perform.
Sample : 'What strategies are currently underway to reduce the employee turnover and improve morale?'

#9 sweetswati

sweetswati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hello,I am 2006 passout.I have faced this question tell me abt yourself? twice but was not able to impress the interviewer.Since he was not impressed he just abruptly switched to next question without listening to my answer.I have never participated in any paper presentation competition or tech competitions.I have volunteered for these competitions.Can i say that i have volunterred these competitions in my answer for the question? I am fond of singing ,trekking.I have won the best singer award in inter collegiate competitions. actively participated in dramas and plays too. so after telling that i have completed BE(E&TC) can i tell about my achievements in singing??plz reply .. tell me tips how to impress interviewer even if you havent achieved accolades in tech /paper presentation competions..

#10 sweetswati

sweetswati

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

plz reply

#11 manoj mahapatra

manoj mahapatra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:55 AM

"Tell Me About Yourself" : This is the most commoly asked question in interviews... So friends can you help me, What is the right way to answer this question Thanks and Regards, Arthy.

hi Arthy u must be speific 2 dis Q. as the recruiter wants why he/she will hire u???? So u start with a boom n tell them about ur skills for the position they r interviewing u.... Dont get hassle n be confident....thats the ultimate mantra 4 sure success.. Thanks Manoj

#12 B.indumathy

B.indumathy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

"Tell Me About YourSelf"

Thanks and Regards
Arthy.

hi

This is the most commoly asked question in interviews......... dont start by saying ur name,discipline,age family andall because all thse things will ib ur resume.......so start by saying

1> i am a hardworking,ampitious,confident and more determinent in my work...........
2> i appreciate serious and hard working people.i enjoy working and learnig frm thm.
3> thn say abt ur school name its enough
4> thn say few words abt ur college life and ur staff members...like collge life is a color fulllife............so and so
5> few words abt ur family
6> i have few but wonderful friends........i love to spend my free time with thm.........

friends i hope tht it will help u...........
good luck..........

#13 A.Anand

A.Anand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

hi This is the most commoly asked question in interviews......... dont start by saying ur name,discipline,age family andall because all thse things will ib ur resume.......so start by saying 1> i am a hardworking,ampitious,confident and more determinent in my work........... 2> i appreciate serious and hard working people.i enjoy working and learnig frm thm. 3> thn say abt ur school name its enough 4> thn say few words abt ur college life and ur staff members...like collge life is a color fulllife............so and so 5> few words abt ur family 6> i have few but wonderful friends........i love to spend my free time with thm......... friends i hope tht it will help u........... good luck..........

THANK U INDUMATHY FOR THIS INFO.....As im having interview tommr...these info will b very helpful to me wen i face HR....!! Thank u once again.. <_<

#14 Rambabu Mandalapu

Rambabu Mandalapu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

Thanks you , Indumathi gaaru , for ur kind information regarding the interview panel tips.

#15 baladeepak

baladeepak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

1)Tell ur Name.2)Where are u coming from3)Your qualification with year of passing and the institute name4)your HSC and 10 th with year of passing and the institute name5)Any addtional studied information6)specify any working exp if u have7)Tell about ur hoppies8)Tell about ur familyBest of luckWith RegarsR.Baladeepak

#16 v.sulakshana

v.sulakshana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

HiThank u indumathy u have given a wonderful answer. surely it will help for job seekers.regardssulakshana

#17 rashi mehrotra

rashi mehrotra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hi Thank u indumathy u have given a wonderful answer. surely it will help for job seekers. regards sulakshana

thank you for ur answers but everyone is saying different thing plz let me nknow exact answer

#18 interview question

interview question

ijug.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

This one youo have to prepare something unique and interesting, you can just see sample answer to this question, but if you repeat it in interview, the interviewer might loose interest.

#19 leepha

leepha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

thank you verymuch..... :) phani

#20 leepha

leepha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts